WINNIPEG — The Manitoba Metis Federation has lost its bid for a temporary injunction to block the cancellation of a multimillion-dollar agreement it had with the province and Manitoba Hydro.
Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench Chief Justice Glenn Joyal dismissed the federation's application Wednesday.
Joyal says he could not find that irreparable harm was done to Metis constitutional rights.
The $20 million agreement was made by the previous NDP government so the federation would drop appeals related to the Keeyask and Bipole III hydro projects.
The province had already paid out $5 million to the federation before the Progressive Conservative government announced that is pulling out of the deal.
Federation president David Chartrand says he is disappointed with the ruling, but noted the Metis could sue the province in civil court.
The Pallister government declined comment. (CTV Winnipeg)